District 202 High School Solo & Ensemble Festival
Saturday February 9th, 2019 at Plainfield South High School
The Plainfield District 202 High Schools will host SOLO & ENSEMBLE FESTIVAL at Plainfield South High School. As District 202 directors, we believe the following points are a benefit to our students:
- Quality judges that specialize in each instrument and are outstanding educators
- 15-minute time slots with each performance, allowing for additional instruction from the judge
- 30-minute masterclasses offered by the judges
- An Honors Recital showcasing the most outstanding solo and/or ensemble in each room
Members of the Wind Ensemble are not required to participate in Solo & Ensemble Festival as part of their course grading / evaluation. Students may participate in at least one ensemble but should participate in no more than 3 events. Students who take private lessons are strongly urged to perform a solo at the festival.
Members of the Symphonic Band are strongly encouraged to participate in Solo & Ensemble Festival. Students whose goal is to make Wind Ensemble in the future should note that participation in Solo & Ensemble will help create improvement in one’s musical playing skills.
Private lesson students are strongly urged to perform a solo. Preparing and performing a major solo work on one’s instrument is a strong step toward becoming a confident and more advanced musician. Tremendous individual improvement can be gained through solo performance, from working with an accompanist to making important interpretive decisions regarding the music. Soloists are evaluated on Tone Quality, Intonation, Rhythm, Technique, Musicianship, and Articulation, all of which are important factors involved in playing in a large band. If your solo piece has a piano accompaniment, you must use an accompanist. PCHS will provide two highly qualified and skilled pianists that students may choose to use at their discretion. The fee to use one of our accompanists will be $35/solo (payable to PCHS Band Boosters) and will pay for two rehearsals with the accompanist at PCHS as well as the performance at PSHS. If you plan to use one of our accompanists, please clear your schedule to rehearse with them on Tuesdays 1/29 and 2/5. A schedule of rehearsal times will be distributed after Winter Break. If you are using a PCHS accompanist, you must turn in your piano accompaniment along with this registration form.
A strong program of small ensembles is widely recognized as one of the cornerstones of a highly successful Band program. In a trio, quartet, quintet, etc., students are one-on-a-part, and are completely responsible for that part. Group members interact with each other musically and discuss issues such as intonation, tempo, balance, blend, rhythm, and interpretation. Musicians who participate in a small ensemble can contribute in a more valuable way to their large ensemble (i.e. Symphonic / Concert Band).
$10.00 per Solo, $5.00 per person/per Ensemble (i.e. A quintet is $5 per person, totaling $25), $35 to use PCHS Accompanist
DUE DATE FOR ENTRIES
December 14, 2018 (CHECKS PAYABLE TO: PCHS Band Boosters)
EXPECTATIONS FOR SOLO & ENSEMBLE FESTIVAL PARTICIPANTS
1. Daily Practice
2. Ensembles are expected to rehearse together at school, at members’ homes, or other location 2-3 times per week. Members are expected to prepare and learn their own part as if it were a solo event.
3. Students are responsible for providing an ORIGINAL copy of the solo or ensemble score with MEASURES NUMBERED to present to the judge on contest day.
4. You must obtain an accompanist (if your piece requires one) that is available all of contest day (8:00 am - 4:00 pm). You are responsible for accompanist fees.
a. Please see information above regarding rehearsal dates and fees if you plan to work with a PCHS accompanist
5. You must be available anytime between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm on contest day to ensure scheduling of your event.
6. Entry fees are non-refundable in the event of absenteeism.
To register, please print, fill out, and return the registration form to your band directors.